What better way to celebrate the English Pear harvest and Halloween together than with a twist on classic toffee apples…using pears?
This recipe can be adapted to create some fun, ghoulish creations for the kids at Halloween, or spruced up to be good enough to serve at any elegant soiree. The perfect balance for an indulgent but healthy treat! Recipe below...
SERVES 8 | PREP 10 Minutes | COOK 15 Minutes
8 OrchardWorld Pears- peeled, washed and left whole (complete with stalk)
225g of milk, white or dark chocolate (depending on your preference)
225g of butter
500g soft brown sugar
1 x 400g can sweet condensed milk
225g runny honey
1 tsp vanilla essence Crushed Hazelnuts or other nuts of choice
Other toppings of your choice: Icing sugar
100s and 1000s
1. Add the butter to a saucepan and melt on a low heat
2. Add the brown sugar, condensed milk and honey. Mix well and maintain on a low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring continuously
3. In a separate pan, add some water and bring to the boil. Place a glass bowl over the top and add the chocolate - stirring continuously until melted
4. Take the caramel mixture off the heat. To ensure that it is cooked to the correct consistency, place a few drops into a cup of iced water and leave for a minute. If it falls apart it needs to cook longer, if it’s too hard, it’s been over cooked. Add the vanilla essence and stir.
5. Take the pear by the stalk and dip into the caramel, turning over to coat the pear. Place on parchment paper then pop into the fridge and chill for 1 hour.
6. Once set then dip the pear by the stalk into the chocolate mixture, then dip straight into your desired toppings such as nuts, icing sugar, 100s and 1000s
7. Place on parchment paper then into the fridge to set. Enjoy!